8.23.2007

Alzheimer's

When you hear the word "Alzheimer's," what do you think of?

Personally, I am terrified by the word. I hope I never have to go through this disease with a family member or friend. I minored in Gerontology (the study of aging)in college and was always enthralled by Alzheimer's. In fact, it is still my dream to work with Alzheimer's patients.

One summer during college I worked at a nursing home in the dementia unit. Although it was very rewarding work, it was also so sad. The hardest part for me was to see dedicated family members come every day and sit in the room while their loved one was off in thier own little world. Don't get me wrong, I was thrilled that they came to visit, but the distance and loss of the person they loved was almost too much to take at times.

Alzheimer's can be devastating to a family, but there are ways we can help! The Alzheimer's Association holds Memory Walks nationwide. Sign up as a team captain! You can recruit your family, friends, and co-workers and participate. Think of how good you will feel knowing you gave of your time to help such a worthy cause as the Alzheimer's Association! Plus, we could all use a little more exercise, right? Sign up early so you have plenty of time to recruit team members and fund raise!

If you are in the Denver area like me, there's a Memory Walk in City Park on September 15. What a beautiful setting for this great event! Let me know if you are going to be there...we can meet up!









No comments: